Saturday, November 8, 2008

Dust Bunnies and Scaredy Cats

I have a four day weekend due to Veterans Day and other random things, so I made a list of things I need to do this weekend. We'll see how it goes.


Number One on the list (and LONG overdue) was to clean my apartment. I don't mean the usual blow-dust-off-the-furniture and vacuum-most-of-the-open-spaces kind of cleaning, I mean when you pull the furniture out, vacuum under and around things, and actually make real progress. So that's what I did today. ALL DAY. It took me almost 12 hours...and my apartment is small enough I can vacuum the entire thing using one outlet. I took pictures so you can share my joy. =)


Closet before:

yup, that'd be all my filing....sitting on top of the filing cabinet...that's how I roll.

And this is after I cleaned and organized...pretty.

Also, I feel that my purses need their space. So I shoved all the clothes together and now fully 1/3 of my closet is dedicated to the ladies. They are hanging on nails (who really gets their apartment deposit back anyway...) and on hangars. I found 3 more after I took this picture, and there is one more on the way that I won in a giveaway. And the one I am currently using is not there either.

While cleaning out the closet, I was looking at the boxes that are underneath the purses, which have some of my old toys in them, like the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls that my mom made for me like 25 years ago. The boxes didn't have lids on them and I discovered that my cats had decided to make a little bed there, and apparently one of them has issues with Raggedy Ann, because there are TEETH MARKS ON HER FACE. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I strongly suspect the sphinx portrayed below pretending to be innocent. WHAT A PUTZ.

I also cleaned the fabric corner, also known as the dining room. Of course, I never use the dining room table to eat on, I bought the table because it is coutertop height - exactly the right height for doing crafts, and there aren't any chairs, the stools just fit right under the table out of my way. It looked like this...

And I keep all my fabric in this armoire, or apparently on the floor....

And this is not supposed to have any fabric on it at all.

Afterwards.....so clean.....I can now work on Christmas presents because I can find what I need! Yeah!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so jealous.

good job.

Unknown said...

Oooh...great work! You don't happen to be coming south and wanna do my house too do ya???! :) We actually did some of the furniture moving and vacuming under it yesterday too. I was trying to sell them but decided that maybe I could live with them a little bit longer if we just rearranged. AND...I love your counter height table. I have been looking for a good deal on one of those since I am unwilling to shell out more then a couple of hundred dollars for one! (add to the fact that we have a perfectly functional table right now, and a newer table would have to be very stable to put up with the kids' wear and tear! Okay, thats it, sorry to right my own blog post as a comment.

Finding Normal said...

LOVE the before and after pictures.
And I so share your purse addiction!

Colleen said...

WOW!! So impressed you got it down on the first day. Feel free to come down and do this at my house!! Love your grey purse, but is that a light switch on your wall down with your purses?

Oh, and love the Texas shout out on the mirror.