Sunday, September 25, 2011

Treading on Eggshells

So far, this year my kids are awesome. I am afraid to mess things up, which is why I haven't posted anything lately, I'm a little afraid of jinxing things. =)
 
It's true! My kids are sweet, friendly, and very nice. There is one kid that is minorly annoying, but all the other kids in class simply ignore him, so it doesn't bother me at all. I have quite a few special ed kids this year, so it is nice to be able to give them a little more attention.

Um....this posted by accident. TO CONTINUE....

It is nice to be able to have some time to breathe. My goals this year are:
  1. to take better care of myself
  2. learn to understand my money and budget better (how else will I ever be able to go back to Hawaii?)
  3. work more on curriculum development
Goal 1 - I joined a gym (after an extremely traumatic visit to another gym, I joined a Bally's close to my house) and have been working out most days. I would like to be able to afford a trainer to teach me how to use all the machinery, but that is out of my price range at this time. In addition, I am once again participating in the "Biggest Lose" challenge at school. As far as cooking goes, I am struggling a little with that, but am experimenting with taking salad to school each day instead of something hot.

Goal 2 - Ugh. This is my NEMESIS. But now that my car is paid off and I am within a year of getting the last of my credit cards paid off, I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am experimenting with a method of budgeting using digital post-its on my desktop, so we shall see how that goes. This month did NOT go well, but I had some unexpected expenses.

 Goal 3 - I hate grading and I wish someone could do it for me, but I am still in "training mode" in my classroom, getting the kids used to my expectations, so it is important that I have them turn everything in at this point, to get into the habit of DOING things, and it is important that I look at everything they do so I know what their capabilities are. All that to say that I am behind (AGAIN) and doing curriculum falls by the wayside when I don't stay caught up on grading. I am hoping to get back to my schedule of going somewhere to work on Saturdays this school year, it worked well last year while doing my national boards, and could work well again this year if I make it into a habit.

In other news, I signed up again to tutor my Somali kids at the apartment complex each Tuesday. It will mean there is one day a week that I will not be able to work out, but I think this is worth it. And while I am not going to be a class advisor again for a while, I am now officially an assistant to the ASB/Student Council advisor (one of my best friends at school) and am kind of excited about that. I think I will be in charge of organizing volunteer opportunities, which is something I am really interested in.

So to sum up....So far, so good. =) Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, not to be narcissistic, but I'm a freaking budget MASTER. I can help with Goal #2! Besides, it'll help me return the favor of all your wedding help!

Pseudo said...

I'm reading an awesome book. The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. I'm suing it to help me get better with my finances.