If you read this blog on a semi-regular basis, you know that I have been having some problems with several boys in my 6th period. I have pretty much reached the limit with one in particular and he is on the verge of being expelled from school if he does one more thing. So when he came back from being suspended on Tuesday, I handed him (and three others in that same class) a list of things I would no longer tolerate in my classroom. It worked pretty well. He tried to get some attention and I pointed out in no uncertain terms that ISN'T THAT ON THE LIST???? And that was the end of it. I am in no way claiming that this is the magic ticket - we were doing something in class on Tuesday that kept the kids attention pretty well, but as I realized, sometimes you need to lay even the seemingly glaringly obvious transgressions out there in black and white large point font.
It was even suggested that this list be enlarged and laminated.
Unacceptable Behavior in Miss DarkSide's class
* Talking or whispering to anyone else while Miss DarkSide is talking
* Talking or whispering to anyone else while Miss DarkSide is taking a breath between sentences
* Not paying attention to Miss DarkSide at all times
* Not being respectful of the subject matter and the instructions
* Not paying attention to instructions being given in class
* Laughing at anyone else for any reason, including, but not limited to:
- Hair style or color
- Facial features including ears (editor's note: for some reason ears are a hysterical subject)
- Skin color
- Answers given to a question in class
- Comments made by others
* Attempting to get the attention of someone else in class using hand gestures
* Not taking notes when asked to do so
* Not doing work when asked to do so
* Attempting to keep anyone else from doing work in class
* Copying or attempting to copy notes or homework from anyone else
Acting on any of the above points can get you removed from class and referred to the office immediately.
We'll see how it works tomorrow. Block periods are AWESOME.