Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Four Minus Three

So by this point, you may be aware of my dislike for those four boys in my 6th period. Last week apparently, the proverbial straw was placed on the collective administrators backs and one of them was suspended, and the other three have been in In-School-Suspension on various days, so that over the last week, there has been no more than one of the miscreants in my class on any given day.

It has been blissfully, utterly glorious.

We are actually getting things accomplished. We have had actual, meaningful DISCUSSIONS about things in class, and today, when I gave them a reading assignment, they DID IT. No arguing, no whining, no disruptions, just wonderful learning.....(Insert Deep Sigh of Relief here)

I also had my observation today. Of course, normally we are doing all kinds of interactive stuff, talking, blah, blah, blah, but today, we are doing bookwork. So.....Mr. Principal observed kids reading. I helped, walked around, and so on, but bookwork. And then, about halfway through class, I look behind him and there is a phone plugged into the wall charging up! Yes, it did take me half of a class period to notice it....sigh....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So, how do you like your new phone? lol

Christy said...

ha! I wish. It is actually not against the rules to use phones at school during passing periods, and she wasn't on it, although the principal did tell me after class to not let the kids plug their phones in during class.

REALLY???

Pseudo said...

Our administrator hardly comes thorugh, except when he is showing visitors around.

I think your four boys are in my period 4....

Melissa B. said...

I have one obnoxious 11th-grader in an electives class that's mostly 9th- and 10th-graders. When he's gone, it's like we've all been granted a reprieve, so I SO know what you mean!

Unknown said...

I totally understand the bliss you have been experiencing. One of my own Disturbing Duo has been sick all week, and so I have been enjoying some bliss of my own.

The principal of our school was my college Teaching Methods professor. My last observation was quite intimidating for me! Don't be discouraged though, you are touching lives whether it feels like it or not.

smithdl said...

Yes! Success! It's amazing how one student (or a few of them) can change the dynamics for an entire group.

John Deere Mom said...

One of your kids was charging the phone or you were? Our principal comes in every day, so it doesn't bother me anymore. But the last 2 principals came in like once or twice a year and it was always stressful.

Melissa B. said...

BTW, I'm celebrating One Year in the Blogosphere with a special 2-day Sx3 today and tomorrow. The winner gets a $50 Tar-Jay Gift Card. Please say you'll play!