Thursday, October 23, 2008

Footb...er....Soccer

Last week there was a somewhat twisted high school football game in the local area. For privacy reasons, I will dub one school the Mavericks, and the other school the Cowboys. So the Mavericks played the Cowboys and the score was 19-0 in favor of the Cowboys....at the Mavericks stadium. At the Mavericks stadium where a WINLESS (and clearly frustrated) Maverick team was playing. At the end of the first half, an especially hard tackle on a kid with a short fuse led to a shoving match, which led to a bench-clearing brawl between both teams. As a result, about 2/3 of each team was ejected from the game. League rules are that if a player is ejected from a game, they are ineligible from the next game at a minimum, and possibly the game after that. This will affect the game going on this weekend.

Well, the Mavericks have a small team. A very small team, with no extra players, and so many of their players were involved in the fight that they do not have enough players to field a team tomorrow. Which means, that they forfeit the game. HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM.

This week is Homecoming for another school in my district, and the team they were scheduled to play tomorrow? You guessed it, the Mavericks. So the Athletic Director for the district spent the first two days of this week calling every team he could think of to see if anyone was available to play this weekend, but this late in the season, everyone is booked. So.......

Homecoming will be a girls soccer game.

Nope, not kidding. Now I am moderately feminist, and all that, I am all for being treated equally, but Homecoming should be a football game. That's the rule. I have nothing against girls soccer, it is interesting and I have a HUGE amount of respect for people who can run like that for 80 minutes. But Homecoming and Football are synonymous.

Anyway, my kids think it is the funniest thing they've ever heard of, but of course, they also laugh at things like the door opening, or the phone ringing, so I don't count them. We'll see how it goes.

Also, me and 6th period are in a fight. I am SO NOT speaking to them. Grrrr...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome.

Just say Julie said...

Too funny. I'll have to share that story with Bob. I am not speaking to my 9th period, but I dont think they've noticed it yet.

Unknown said...

Wow! Really? Thats crazy...I agree. Girls soccer rocks...but not for homecoming! Whats funny about this, is that while visiting our friends near Puyallup we saw this story on the news. But they didn't mention the soccer part. (on Weds night)