Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tuesday's Coming Fast.....

I have been a tourist this summer, which means that instead of working on school stuff like usual, I didn't. =) Which actually kind of worked out, but more on that later. So this week before school starts is the bane of every teacher's existence...trust me. Meeting after meeting, and most of the time the meetings consist of data analysis. I know that SOUNDS exciting, but trust me, it's not.

Last week, I went up to school, opened up my room, cleaned out the cupboards, got my classroom set up and so on, so that this week I could work on lesson planning and actually typing documents, making copies, getting ready for the first day and so on. And yet somehow, I feel like I am more organized but less ready this year than I was last year.

My coteacher (hereafter to be codenamed "Clark" as in Clark Kent, as in Superman...inside joke), and I work together incredibly well. I have never been able to work and plan with someone like I can work with him. We complement each other's ideas very well and it is great to have someone like him to work with. Last year, between the two of us, we taught all the sophomore world history classes. This year, due to a very large sophomore class, our classes are larger and there is another section taught by another teacher. He (codename "Hasselbeck") is also a great teacher. In fact, he is such a good teacher that I sometimes feel like a crappy teacher in comparison. Hasselbeck and I coadvise a club (possibly more on that in a future post) so we are also friends and work pretty well together as well. But, I have never planned with him, and much like introducing a third person into any relationship changes the dynamic, so also does this. I think it will be good for me though. He has great ideas, including rebuilding the world history curriculum in a way that makes more sense and is more guided and focused, which is exactly what we need. I am looking forward to this year, even though I foresee quite a bit of work in this restructuring.

One unusual thing this year, and I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, I haven't had a teacher dream yet. If you are a teacher, you know what I'm talking about. The content varies, but the theme is the same. It generally has something to do with not being prepared for school. I usually have a teacher dream or two in the weeks leading up to school, but this year...nary a one! So, either I am totally unprepared for school this year or I am completely at ease and not stressed about school this year. Hm. Here's hoping for the latter. 4 days to go!

No comments: